Frequently Asked Questions

How do I sell my home?

There are two stages to every property sale - the marketing and negotiation of the price, and the legal transaction known as conveyancing.  Malcolm Jack & Matheson can deal with both stages of your sale transaction.

How do Malcolm Jack & Matheson sell my home?

Our Property Manager, will meet you to take details of your property discuss the marketing procedure.  She will prepare the sales particulars and will discuss and arrange to advertise the property. We recommend marketing your property in the Edinburgh Solicitors’ Property Centre (ESPC) which publishes a weekly property newspaper and has the most-visited website for properties sold in the West Fife Area. We have an excellent website where we will advertise your property as part of our service we also advertise our properties within our Property Link office. If you would like additional advertising in a newspaper, we can arrange this for you.

What is a home report?

Before a property can be placed on the market for sale, a home report must have been carried out. Further details can be found at;

The home report must be made available on request to any prospective buyers of your house. It consists of three elements:

  • A single survey - an assessment by a surveyor of the condition of your home, a valuation and an accessibility audit for people with particular needs.
  • An energy report – an assessment by a surveyor of the energy efficiency of your home and its environmental impact. It also recommends ways to improve energy efficiency.
  • A property questionnaire completed by the seller. It contains additional information, such as energy suppliers, council tax band and factoring costs that will be useful to buyers.

We can help you to choose a home report provider, and we will arrange a home report for your home before it goes on the market.

What is a closing date?

After the seller's solicitor has received notification of interest from two or more buyers, they can set a closing date by which all of the offers must be received. Due to the sealed bids system often used, you will not know what anyone else has bid. As you can only bid once, it is important to think very carefully about what offer to make and get it right first time. Your solicitor makes the offer on your behalf and will advise shortly after if you have been successful in your offer.

What happens after I have an offer on my home?

Verbal contracts for the sale of property are not binding in Scotland and either party may withdraw from the contract without penalty at any point before missives (the contract) are concluded. When an acceptable offer has been received, there is an exchange of letters (missives) between solicitors, which form the binding contract once full agreement has been reached.

What happens once the sale is complete?

On the agreed date of entry, the buyer must pay the price and you must move out of the house and hand over the keys. If the property is mortgaged, we will arrange for it to be repaid and, once all legal fees are paid, the balance will be sent to you.

Property search