What we need
Malcolm Jack & Matheson will be a "controller" of the personal information that you provide to us when you instruct us to act on your behalf, in this form or through our website, etc. unless otherwise stated in this privacy notice.
When you become a client of Malcolm Jack & Matheson, we will collect, store and use the personal information that you provide to us in your instructions and during the course of our solicitor/client relationship. We may ask you for additional personal information during the course of our client/solicitor relationship, which shall be collected, stored and used in accordance with this privacy notice.
We also collect, store and use personal information relating to you when you become our client from organisations such as lending Institutions, Panel Management Companies, Financial Advisers and Estate Agents.
Why we need your personal information– contractual purposes
We need to collect our clients' personal information so that we can undertake the instructions provided by you. We will use our clients' personal information to:
- provide you with legal advice.
- represent you as your solicitors in connection with the work instructed by you.
- respond to and communicate with clients regarding your questions, comments, support needs or complaints, concerns or allegations
If you do not provide us with all of the personal information that we need to collect then this may affect our ability to provide you with legal advice and / or represent you as your solicitors
Why we need your personal information – legitimate purposes
We also process our clients' personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interests to:
- promote our services by sending clients communications with information for upcoming events and legal updates
- invite our clients as guests to our events
Where we process your personal information in pursuit of our legitimate interests, you have the right to object to us using your personal information for the above purposes. If you wish to object to any of the above processing, please contact us by writing to Steven Fell at our office address below. If we comply with your objection, this may affect our ability to undertake the tasks above for the benefit of you as a client.
Why we need your personal information – legal obligations
We are under a legal obligation to process certain personal information relating to our clients for the purposes of complying with our obligations under:
- the Law Society of Scotland requirements for solicitors
- Anti-Money Laundering legislation requirements; and
- Legal Marketing Services Panel obligations
How long we keep your personal information
We keep our clients' personal data for five years except in relation to the following, which are retained for ten years:
- Executry business
- Conveyancing Purchase transactions
- Trust transactions
We will review and possibly delete your personal information following a period of at least five years after you have ceased to be our client
You can exercise any of the following rights by writing to us at the following address:
Malcolm Jack & Matheson
Your rights in relation to your personal information are:
- you have a right to request access to the personal information that we hold about you by making a "subject access request";
- if you believe that any of your personal information is inaccurate or incomplete, you have a right to request that we correct or complete your personal information;
- you have a right to request that we restrict the processing of your personal information for specific purposes; and
- if you wish us to delete your personal information, you may request that we do so.
Any requests received by Malcolm Jack & Matheson will be considered under applicable data protection legislation. If you remain dissatisfied, you have a right to raise a complaint with the Information Commissioner's Office at www.ico.org.uk